Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Jemele Hill "Relieved" Over Hitler Comment

Just as Bad as Imus, But At Least She Still Has a Job

The Big Lead is among those with word that ESPN came to its senses and realized that columnist Jemele Hill needed a time out so she can shake a bad case of the stupids.
"We’ve spoken with Jemele, and she understands that she exercised poor judgment," intones a statement from Bristol HQ. "She’s been relieved of her responsibilities for a period of time to reflect on the impact of her words."
Hill wrote in a column Saturday night that “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”
Oy, vey.
Fear not, for those of you in a forgiving mood. Hill still has a blog and she uses it to give the appearance of being contrite.
In case you missed her apology, and I did, it reads in part:

"I pride myself on an understanding of, and appreciation for, diversity-- and there is no excuse for the appalling lack of sensitivity in my comments. It in no way reflects the person I am. I apologize to all my readers and I thank them for holding me accountable. This has been an important life lesson for me and illustrates that, like many people, I still have a lot of growing and learning to do."

Duh.

OK, we get it, she's sorry. Left unanswered is how she could have possibly fathomed that referencing Hitler in any context would have been acceptable in any sports story. Maybe she'll get around to that someday. As she promises on the blog: "I have more to say on this issue. That will come later."
Can't wait.
As she promises on the blog: "I have more to say on this issue. That will come later."

If any of this gets you thinking about Don "Nappy-Headed Ho" Imus, you may have Hill to thank. She used her column last year to jump on the bandwagon to get the I-Man off the air.

"Imus has become a Hall of Fame broadcaster using race-baiting, offensive tactics. He is routinely offensive to people of color and women, and if he needs to lose his job to understand that there is no place for that, so be it.
As a society, there are times when we need to stand together against indecency and cruelty."

As to how what Hill wrote differs from what Imus said, the only distinction is Hill gets to keep her job, at least for now.

No comments: