Friday, January 23, 2009

Give This Gannett Employee A Hug

The Poster Child For A Company Gone Horribly Wrong

On the must-read Gannett Blog today there is a post that blog moderator Jim Hopkins chose to highlight rather than leave it as a comment.
It comes from an employee at one of Gannett's Michigan papers. That means the anonymous writer not only works for a company that's essentially trying to strangle itself, the writer is also in a state with the nation's highest unemployment rate at 10.6 percent.
So, if the writer wants to ply his trade elsewhere in the state, it's pretty much impossible to do so, especially with just about every newspaper in a hiring freeze or, like Gannett, shedding bodies at a precipitous rate.

"My friends don't get it. They make the argument that I should "just quit if it's so bad." They are, however, as clueless as the leadership.
My family gets it. I see the worry in their faces when I vent about the day. It tears out my insides to see that so I've stopped telling them. They are the constant of joy and happiness in my life and I won't let Gannett touch that."

The post generated quite a response, including another Gannettoid in Michigan, who summed it up, all too correctly.

"Yeah. It's cold in Michigan.
I'm afraid it's going to get a lot colder."

No comments: